02 February, 2013

Why Jesus? Can't a Loving God Just Forgive Anyone?



            Why the Christ?  I believe the answer is couched firmly in the character of God Himself.  The Scriptures teach many truths about the character of God: God is all-powerful, God is all-knowing, God is all-transcendent and all-immanent, God is immutable, God is eternal (forwards and backwards), God is all-sufficient, and also too many other superlatives than we can truly grapple with!  Bearing all this in mind, however, I believe the most standout feature of God’s character – the highest and best side of Him if you like – is His holiness.    It is interesting: the angels in heaven see God all of the time and the Scriptures show us that what they note first and foremost about Him is His holiness rather than His beauty, power, etc.   The angels note again and again that God is “holy, holy, holy”!  God is never “loving, loving, loving” or “merciful, merciful, merciful” – but He is thrice Holy!  I believe the answer of the question “why the Christ?” is to be found in God’s holiness.

            The simplest way to comprehend “holiness” is to think of it as all-encompassing, total, and absolute purity and perfection in every way, shape, and form.  Due to the impurity and imperfection of our own existence I would posit that it is impossible for us to accurately say, “I get it!” when it comes to the idea of what it truly means that God is “Holy, Holy, Holy”.  I realize this is an arguable statement, however, I would declare that God’s holiness is the engine which drives all of His other standout characteristics.  The absoluteness of God’s holiness require Jesus.  

            Absolute perfection and purity CANNOT abide ANY imperfection or impurity.  It is fully impossible: if purity abides impurity it becomes impure itself.  This truth is why the Bible states that a loving God judges and will judge.  Judgment must come from the pure against the impure.  It absolutely has to take place.  The Old Testament gives us a clear picture of this truth in the eleventh chapter of the book of Hosea:
11:1 When Israel was a young man, I loved him like a son,
and I summoned my son out of Egypt.
11:2 But the more I summoned them,
the farther they departed from me.
They sacrificed to the Baal idols
and burned incense to images.
11:3 Yet it was I who led Ephraim,
I took them by the arm;
but they did not acknowledge
that I had healed them.
11:4 I led them with leather cords,
with leather ropes;
I lifted the yoke from their neck,
and gently fed them.
11:5 They will return to Egypt!
Assyria will rule over them
because they refuse to repent!
11:6 A sword will flash in their cities,
it will destroy the bars of their city gates,
and will devour them in their fortresses.
11:7 My people are obsessed with turning away from me;
they call to Baal, but he will never exalt them!
The Divine Dilemma: Judgment or Mercy?
11:8 How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
How can I surrender you, O Israel?
How can I treat you like Admah?
How can I make you like Zeboiim?
I have had a change of heart!
All my tender compassions are aroused!
11:9 I cannot carry out my fierce anger!
I cannot totally destroy Ephraim!
Because I am God, and not man—the Holy One among you—
I will not come in wrath![1]

                I love this passage!  It is an incredibly clear picture of the reason for Jesus.  We clearly see the fullness of God’s loving compassion; here it is specifically referenced to His people Israel.  However, we also are clearly confronted with the wrath of God which must flash out against God’s people in their rebellion against Him.  Yet the passage ends with the statement by God, “I cannot carry out my fierce anger . . . I will not come in wrath.”  So how does this work?  Is God a schizophrenic?  The answer can be simply stated in one word: JESUS!  The Apostle Paul answers the above dilemma in the following manner when he writes,But when the appropriate time had come, God sent out his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we may be adopted as sons with full rights.”[2]  In these thoughts we close in on the answer to our original question, “Why the Christ?”.

            God’s absolute moral perfection – His holiness – demands a negative response to any form of moral imperfection.  God is absolute love, but He cannot simply forgive without redemption taking place.  Moral imperfection must be redeemed, or covered, by perfection in order for the restoration of fellowship.  God sent Jesus to pay the price required to return that which is imperfect into harmony with the perfect.  God can make the seemingly contradictory statements He makes in Hosea because of Jesus.  The act of Jesus taking on humanity and dying as a human – yet a human who did no wrong nor ever became impure – satisfied the demands of God’s holiness.  The author C.S. Lewis wrote this thought in this manner: “the Witch knew the Deep Magic, [but] there is a magic deeper still which she did not know.  If she could have looked further back . . . she would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor’s stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward” (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, 163).  

            The Bible teaches us that we are the ultimate traitors against a Thrice-Holy God and that Jesus was a willing victim – like us in every way except for our moral imperfection – who paid the penalty in our stead.  The rebellion against God by the first Adam brought the penalty of death and the necessity for God’s wrath.  However, the substitutionary death of Jesus made possible, as we saw the Apostle Paul write above, not simply a balancing of the scales but “more better!” the possibility of our adoption as God’s Sons and Daughters.


[1] Hosea 11:1-9, the NET version.
[2] Galatians 4:4-5, the NET version.

No comments:

Post a Comment